[mythtvnz] The Plan... version 2

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Thu Dec 13 07:21:48 GMT 2007

On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 12:32:04 +1300, you wrote:

>Check the motherboard. You may need to install the ram in pairs, I have
>seen some of the new Intel chipset motherboards complain EVERY time you
>power-up, that for optimal performance you need to install a pair of
>modules and require F1 to be pressed before they boot.

Yes, DDR2 RAM always works in pairs - while one stick is being
accessed, the other is doing the other half of it cycle, so that they
overlap and effectively run at double the speed.  It used to be called
interleaving, when it was done on old mainframes.  So if you only want
1 Gibyte of RAM, then you need 2 x 512 Mibyte sticks.  But RAM is dirt
cheap now - I just build a PC with 2 x 1 Gibyte DDR2 800 MHz for
$78.81 the pair (A-Data from Ascent).