[mythtvnz] Channel changing time

David Lowe david at thistledown.co.nz
Wed Dec 5 19:57:12 GMT 2007

I'm struggling with driving the 'household habit' changes that you need to
make with a PVR. What I mean is that the way some people (typically of the
opposite gender, sorry) watch TV is to channel surf. Some (the one I'm
married to and my adult daughter) even seem to manage to watch at least two
programmes at once which I hate. I guess it's a guy thing. Fundamentally,
this is not a good way to operate a pvr. I've tried to explain that the best
way to use the media centre is to decide what you want to watch in advance
and time lapse it, but they just don't seem to get it and complain about the
2 second channel change delays when they try to surf.

So we are getting to the point where I have banned them from using the
frontend for Live TV - it's just too much aggro to deal with and causes the
WAF to plummet. I might even take it off the menu.

I guess the way we watch TV will change in time, but it is a harder change
process than I expected it would be.

They do however love it when a recorded programme skips the ads. Now if I
could get the ad-zapping happening while a programme is recording that would
be sensational.

- David