[mythtvnz] Channel changing time

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Wed Dec 5 07:28:02 GMT 2007

On Wed, 05 Dec 2007 17:01:49 +1300, you wrote:

>Really?  cool.
>
>It had some warning about "Don't do this on an underpowered box".  So it
>seemed like the perfect job for the new back end while it waits for its
>capture cards to be purchased =)
>

>Dean

My box is not at all underpowered (Athlon 64 X2, 1 Gibyte RAM), but I
regularly get it to record 4 programs at once off two dual tuners
(hardware MPEG-2), and then do commercial skip processing on all four
programs, at the same time as I am playing back one more program. That
is a total of 9 video streams at once.  With good hard disks (7200 rpm
Seagate Barracudas), it works fine.  You do hear the disks though, as
they are very busy.  I was surprised that it worked when I first tried
it, but I guess I have been using too many Windows boxes and my
expectations were dulled by that.  Linux can use the full throughput
of a hard disk properly.  And it caches well too, so I expect that the
commercial skip processing may well be mostly using the cached data
and not needing much real disk access.