[mythtvnz] Channel changing time

Steven Ellis steven at openmedia.co.nz
Wed Dec 5 01:43:51 GMT 2007

On Wed, December 5, 2007 1:38 pm, Russell Tester wrote:
> Can anyone comment on the time it takes to change channels in Myth with
> a Nova-S? Is this such for all DVB-S cards or just to do with the Nova?
> Or am I missing something completely?
>
> I don't at the moment have anything else to compare it to but it's about
> 2-3 sec, longer when changing transponders.

Yes this is about right. Within the same multiplex its about a second for
the buffer to start. Across multiplexes there is the retune and pid scan
overhead before it locks so generally 2-3 seconds.

Cheap FTA DTT STBs in the UK are also often quite slow, which annoys
consumers who expected digital to be quicker.

Steven Ellis - Technical Director
OpenMedia Limited - The Home of myPVR
email   - steven at openmedia.co.nz
sales   - sales at openmedia.co.nz