[mythtvnz] Will I get better reception with DVB-T than analogue?

Criggie criggie at criggie.dyndns.org
Tue Dec 4 00:41:39 GMT 2007

Nick Rout wrote:
> Sugarloaf is hazy and fuzzy for analogue. We haven't used an analogue
> tuner for years (except when the old Sky satellite tipped itself over
> a while back). For the last 10 years we have relied on Sky and more
> latterly DVB-S Freeview for TV.
>
> Is there any chance that DVB-T will do better than analogue-T? Is a
> matter of trying and seeing what happens? (Oh yeah I can imagine the
> wife's banter about buying a card that MIGHT work!!). I just somehow,
> and probably unscientifically, thought that if you could get some sort
> of lock the digital nature of the data might enable a clear signal to
> be received.
>
> Or am I dreaming?

You're dreaming.

With digital anything, you either have a signal that is above the noise
floor, and its a good image, or you get nothing.

With analogue, your connection tends to degrade more gracefully.  That's
why the old 025 cell phones did better in fringe coverage.

So its better goods, and worse bads than the old tech.

--
Criggie

http://criggie.dyndns.org/