[mythtvnz] Good parameters for mencoder conversion of TV3 Myth recording to DivX?

Matt Poff mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Thu, 16 Aug 2007 18:25:57 +1200

Hi,

I've been trying to set-up a good mencoder command string to downsample
and convert some TV3 recordings but i'm getting some weird aspect ratios
with the result...

The first string i tried was this:

|mencoder -o FILE.avi -of avi -ffourcc DX50 -lavcopts vbitrate=750:vhq
-ovc lavc -oac mp3lame -vf pp=lb FILE.mpg

But the results were an almost square picture area (squeezed
anamorphic?) with a lot of black space around the frame. I tried using
the autocrop feature to detect  picture boundaries:

||mencoder -o FILE.avi -of avi -ffourcc DX50 -lavcopts vbitrate=750:vhq
-ovc lavc -oac mp3lame -vf cropdetect FILE.nuv|

Still the same problem. The generated output is 720x576 in both cases.
Does anyone have any settings they use to get correct aspect ratio
transcodes from TV3 recordings?

Thanks,
Matt