[mythtvnz] Aligning a Sky dish for Freeview

Nick Rout mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Wed, 8 Aug 2007 09:23:51 +1200 (NZST)

I just found this page

http://www.lyngsat.com/tracker/optusd1.html

which shows azimuth and elevation for Optus D1. You need to click on the
map to set where you are - quite difficult as the scale is small, but it
does confim that for the middle of the south island you want the elevatio=
about 38 deg and azimuth 341 deg (ie about 19 deg west of north).
Presumably that is true north, not magnetic.

Interestingly if you click near the top of NZ the elevation is nearer 44
deg, so there is quite a variation from the top of the country to the
bottom - don't use Barry's figure of 35-37 deg if you live in Kaitaia. Th=
azimuth varies considerably too.

As I say its pretty inaccurate given the scale. There may be better
trackers available, one where you could accurately put in your lat/long
would be good. No doubt the math is pretty simple for a computer to work
out (or an ancient mariner with a set of log tables). However as you are
going to do the fine placement with a meter, the accuracy is probably
sufficient. It sounds like the signal is pretty easy to pick out from the
dross.