[mythtvnz] Video Motion Blur

David Zanetti mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Tue, 19 Sep 2006 11:52:07 +1200

--=-RCot7FO81gCUfkBOo+cQ

On Mon, 2006-09-18 at 21:43 +1200, Steven Ellis wrote:
> Anyone notice that compared with LiveTV, VCR or DVD there always appears
> to be a hint of motion blur with computer playback on TVs or monitors.
> I've tried all kinds of things to minimise this but its still present. I
> was beginning to wonder if perhaps i'm a bit too sensitive to it.
>=20
> In fact this isn't specific to MythTV. I watched the Microsoft Windows
> MCE demo at the home show last week and they had the same video issues
> both with a HP PC and an XBox 360.
>=20
> So
>=20
> 1. Anyone notice it with their setup.

Fairly common problem, most TV encoders are trying to do progressive to
interlaced conversions and not neccecarily doing a great job of it. The
video doesn't always line up with the scan lines, and conversion between
the two is ugly, so the whole thing gets a bit soft.

And the original content was interlaced, so you've really got
interlaced->progressive->interlaced in there.

One of the drivers I have for getting a decent HD set is not really all
that HD content out there, but so I can drive it over HDMI in a
progressive mode and bypass a few conversion steps.

--=20
David Zanetti <david.zanetti@catalyst.net.nz>
Systems Architect
Catalyst IT Limited