[mythtvnz] Video Motion Blur

Wade Maxfield mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Tue, 19 Sep 2006 10:07:54 +1200

>Anyone notice that compared with LiveTV, VCR or DVD there always appears
>to be a hint of motion blur with computer playback on TVs or monitors.
>I've tried all kinds of things to minimise this but its still present. I
>was beginning to wonder if perhaps i'm a bit too sensitive to it.
>
>In fact this isn't specific to MythTV. I watched the Microsoft Windows
>MCE demo at the home show last week and they had the same video issues
>both with a HP PC and an XBox 360.
>
>So
>
>1. Anyone notice it with their setup.
>
>2. Any work arounds/fixes?

If your recording with a PVR-xxx card, try setting the dnr_temporal
to 0.  My PVR-150 had it set to 8 by default.

/usr/bin/ivtvctl -c dnr_temporal=0

Also I noticed that turning on Bob deinterlacing seemed to make
things look a little crisper on the telly downstairs (26" CRT by
composite video), and less motion blurry.

It still doesn't look quite like normal TV, but much better than I
started with.

  - Wade