[mythtvnz] Mythbackend crashes

Nick & Ann Read mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Wed, 6 Sep 2006 21:42:28 +1200 (New Zealand Standard Time)

>Is anyone running a DVB card and has not experienced crashes over the last

>week, if so could you perhaps post your setups and versions so we can

>perhaps find some commonality.

Knoppmyth R5B7 with an updated mythtv 0.19-fixes, Technisat Skystar 2.6D,
and yes I suddenly started getting the crashes, usually (but not always)
within 30-40mins of starting a DVB-S recording. Sometimes (OK at least once)
it recorded a whole 2hr movie without a problem.

My experience exactly the same as described. Memory use on mythbackend would
grow to about 82% (ie full) and then (after lots of paging and disk
thrashing during which box was still recording but basically unresponsive to
ssh/web) would get killed. Lots of messages about memory and stuff in the
logs. I've only got 384M/980M swap which WAS fine up until now.

>My conclusion based on the fact that many people are having the same
problem

>running various different versions of myth is that either something has

>changed in the DVB signal or there are too many errors or problems with the

>signal and either the card or mythbackend isn't coping with it.

Yep I definately think its something changed in the signal. I was using
TV1&2 only on the Sky 12671 mplex. I tried rescanning and using Test1-4 that
are now being transmitted (not sure on which mplex, presume its one of the
TVNZ ones) but noticed the same memory creep while watching these channels
on live tv. So I've disabled the DVB-S card and everything is fine except
for the programs I can't record :-(

Has anyone tried this on the most recent 0.19-fixes? (Mine dates from January) Or on 0.20-SVN? Should we raise a ticket on the mythtv TRAC?