[mythtvnz] HD

Steven Ellis mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Wed, 06 Sep 2006 21:05:51 +1200

Nick Rout wrote:
> On 1:54 pm 09/05/06 "Steven Ellis" <steven@openmedia.co.nz> wrote:
>
>> Steve Hodge wrote:

>>>  That's why I think it'll be driven by HD-DVD/Bluray in this
>>>  country. People will buy HD equipment because the movies are
>>>  available. And so the chicken and egg problem goes away for the
>>>
>> broadcasters.
>>
>> People aren't buying normal TVs any more. Almost everyone wants a HD
>> set and then is shocked at how bad SkyTV looks on it :)
>>
>> Steve
>>

> Frankly I'd rather the networks properly broadcast in 16:9 than worry
> overly much about HD. I get pissed off watching almost anything on NZ TV
> knowing that I am missing a huge chunk of the director's vision, not to
> mention the awful waste of screen space on my widescreen TV.

The widescreen test channel is very nice, but does anyone know what the
extra information is in the signal as if your screen doesn't overscan it
becomes rather annoying.

I'd expect 1-4 to go widescreen pretty much immediately, most of their
product is already geared for it.

Steven Ellis - Technical Director
OpenMedia Limited
email   - steven@openmedia.co.nz