[mythtvnz] HD

AlanP mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Wed, 06 Sep 2006 00:10:28 +1200

>People are not going to be very impressed by HD if 480p is all they
>can get (either because that's what's broadcast as HD or due to the
>limitations of their "HDTV" set). Personally I don't think including
>480i and 480p in the HDTV spec was a smart decision. They should have
>left those as EDTV modes.

I love the way that these HDTV mode tags seem to dance around resolution
without coming out and stating them. I can never keep track of whether i or
p are the normal or the minature.

All I know is that every time I think about shopping for a HDTV, I am
positively horrified by the piddling little resolutions that remind me of
my S3 Trio, my 486, and playing SimCity. If one of the resolution numbers
are below 1000 (866 or whatever they chose that week), then it is
Pentium-133 era, to my mind, not better-than-DVD. My 19" monitor has a
higher res than these multi-thousand dollar sets. That, and the prices for
said under-rezzed screen. As a result, upgrading from SD to not-very-HD is
not very high on my priority list. Especially not when a HD screen costs
$2000-$5000, compared to $600 for a 42" or so SD TV.

--
Alan Podjursky                  ICQ 24423014
"Yay, evil evil! Happy torture!" -- Gwyneth