[mythtvnz] HD

Steve Hodge mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Tue, 5 Sep 2006 14:01:49 +1200

On 9/5/06, Steven Ellis <steven@openmedia.co.nz> wrote:
> Steve Hodge wrote:
> > On 9/5/06, Mike Dilger <mike@mikedilger.com> wrote:
> >> HD is taking a long time, because of the chicken-and-egg problem ("well
> >> no one has HD ready hardware".... "well no one has HD media to show
> >> us").   That doesn't mean HD won't happen, but just that it won't switch
> >> over as quickly as you might think.
> >
> > That's why I think it'll be driven by HD-DVD/Bluray in this country.
> > People will buy HD equipment because the movies are available. And so
> > the chicken and egg problem goes away for the broadcasters.
>
> People aren't buying normal TVs any more. Almost everyone wants a HD set
> and then is shocked at how bad SkyTV looks on it :)

There's a lot of confusion about HD though - I think there are a lot
of sales of TVs capable of 480p, especially now that 42" plasmas with
that resolution are under $3000. SBS in Australia advertise HD as
meaning "DVD quality picture + DVD quality sound", i.e. 480p + AC3.
But that's not what I'd call HD. I consider 480p to be evolutionary
rather than revolutionary compared to SD. I don't think there are as
large a number of sets being sold that do 720p or 1080i natively.

Steve