[mythtvnz] Diskless Frontend

Robin Gilks mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Mon, 4 Sep 2006 19:50:19 +1200 (NZST)

> Wouldn't it make more sense to have the backend running on the server
> and just the frontend running on the PXE booted device? This would
> lower network traffic while watching live TV as the backend streams to
> the /myth/tv (or wherever) folder and the frontend reads from it. It
> would work fine for one or two tuners and a frontend on a 100Mbit
> connection but as soon as you started adding more clients or use wifi,
> you may start to see bottlenecks in the network.

Running the backend on the server would mean hacking extra cables through
walls etc to where the server lives for the sat disk LNB and the
terrestrial feed. It would certinaly make cooling in the frontend a lot
easier as a PVR150 gets quite warm!

As far as wireless goes, I've not seen anyone who has been really happy
with it - my house was prewired with cat5 for the phones so I just put a
switch in the garage where its all distributed from and use DSE rj45
phone/ethernet splitters where I want net access.

Steve raises the point about HD - by the time I'll be able to afford the
content (or the choice has disappeared) we'll be 3 generations of hardware
further on :-)

--
Robin Gilks