[mythtvnz] Diskless Frontend

Sam Hadley-Jones mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Mon, 4 Sep 2006 18:36:12 +1200

> I'm running an Epia SP13000 as a combined frontend/backend as a
> diskless system NFS mounted back onto my server box (an Athlon
> XP2700+ with 50G of raid1 OS and 600G raid5 storage for videos,
> music, TV, pix etc).

I'm thinking of doing the same setup with my system. It's annoying that
neither Debian nor Knoppmyth allow you to install to a folder on a
mounted filesystem rather than the filesystem itself. It would make
life easier for setting up a PXE booting network.

Wouldn't it make more sense to have the backend running on the server
and just the frontend running on the PXE booted device? This would
lower network traffic while watching live TV as the backend streams to
the /myth/tv (or wherever) folder and the frontend reads from it. It
would work fine for one or two tuners and a frontend on a 100Mbit
connection but as soon as you started adding more clients or use wifi,
you may start to see bottlenecks in the network.

Just my two cents.

I've been trying to get a Compaq T1510 thin client to boot from TFTP for
a while now with no luck. It acquires an IP address from the DHCP
server but never requests the kernel. Any ideas Robin?

Sam Hadley-Jones.