[mythtvnz] Tracking well supported DVB-S cards and MythTV

Wade Maxfield mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Wed, 18 Oct 2006 13:58:17 +1300

>I'm looking at putting up a support page on http://www.mythtv.co.nz
>tracking the various DVB-S cards and how well they work with Optus B1/D1
>and MythTV.
>
>Plus we could also capture any other interesting setups like multiple LNBs
>for multiple satellites.
>
>This way as we get more people trying to use the FreeView setup we have a
>quick FAQ resource to point them at. Plus links to any other useful
>resources.
>
>I'll also look at starting a similar one for DVB-T at some stage.
>
>So lets try and capture the information as follows
>
>1. What Version Of MythTV are you running.
>
>2. Which OS and kernel
>
>3. Any custom mods like specific versions of the DVB drivers
>
>4. Which DVB-S card - make/model/revision
>
>5. How well do you rate the card
>
>6. Any quirks to get it running.
>
>7. Any bits that don't work (analogue capture/remote)
>
>8. Any extra notes.
>
>Steve

1. MythTV 0.20-fixes via ATrpms
2. FedoraCore 5 / 2.6.17-1.2187 SMP
3. Just followed Jaord's guide for FedoraCore so no extra fiddling
with drivers.  Did install linux-dvb-apps while playing around with
mythfilldatabase and tv_grab_dvb (for grabbing the EPG data)
4. Technisat SkyStar2 (rev02)
5. It works, and I have nothing else to compare it with so 2 Thumbs up.
6. Nothing special, just followed the guide at pvr.geek.nz, and just
had to enter the correct values for High/Low/Switch in order for Myth
to do a successful channel scan.
7. Came with a serial remote, which I haven't bothered to try, since
I'm already using a MCE remote
8. Had a couple of issues with MythBackend along with everyone else a
couple of moths ago. Using a simple coax splitter (from DSE) between
the LNB and Sky Decoder to feed the card.

All in all, definitely worth doing.

  - Wade