[mythtvnz] Re: Technisat SkyStar 2 card availability.

Sam Hadley-Jones mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Thu, 12 Oct 2006 10:09:05 +1300

Hi Steve,

Your reply prompted me to do some research. I think it's highly
unlikely that NZ will go DVB-S2. From the press releases I've read from
TVNZ, DVB-T will be the primary delivery medium and DVB-S intended for
fringe areas. If any channels do go HD, they can still be delivered over
DVB-S with H.264. As long as the tuner card is streaming the entire TS
stream it doesn't care what codec is being used. Although I can't find
anything concrete, many sources believe Freeview won't launch
with HD. By the time it does though, H.264 support in LiveTV should be
fairly mature.

I think we're safe investing in DVB-S cards.

Sam.