[mythtvnz] Feedback requested on an article on Digital TV

Craig Box mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Sun, 08 Oct 2006 23:19:32 +1300

> 4. Not all Sky boxes have component - I agree it is a lot better, but
> not as good as DVI/HDMI/VGA
> 5. I don't know anyone who even realises you can feed a Sky box over
> component, never mind actually doing it.

I looked into this recently when a friend got a receiver that switches
component.  According to geekzone forusm posts, you can get a SCART->3
RCA cable and have your decoder output RGB.  However, most TVs want YUV
component input?  Is there a more effective answer than $150 of active
conversion along the way?

It got put in the 'too hard' basket, and we ended up getting
SCART->svideo.  This had its own set of problems, because the cable at
Jaycar was svideo->SCART, and SCART uses different pins for input and
output.  Same with the cable at DSE (which wasn't even on their
website).  The only answer was to buy a SCART adapter, which has a
little "Input/Output" switch on top, and a svideo-svideo cable.

(Thankfully, when I got Sky, the installer gave me a SCART->svideo cable
and I didn't have to worry about any of this!)

Craig