[mythtvnz] convert ext3 to xfs?

Criggie mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Tue, 3 Oct 2006 14:23:31 +1300 (NZDT)

David Shepherd wrote:
> Just upgraded my myth backend with a 250GB drive but it looks like I've
> chosen the wrong disk format.
> I went with the standard ext3 option and now find it takes ~5-10secs to
> delete a 2GB recording during which time the frontend is unusuable.

Yep ext3 is not fast for some basic operaions like delete.

> From the reading I've done it looks like xfs would have been a better
> choice.  Has anyone successfully converted a drive from ext3 to xfs
> apart from the obvious reformat and re-install method?

No - I don't think theres any way to convert.  I suggest you back up all
files that are important and reformat.

> I'd also welcome any advice on how to partition a drive this size.  I'm
> using Debian Testing so I guess I have some freedom on where to put
> recordings, videos, music etc.

I firmly believe that having your recordings drive/s separate to your boot
drive is a good idea.  Some say that LVM is good for storing data, so you
can add drives as necessary in the future.

--
Criggie

http://criggie.dyndns.org/
http://www.avonside.school.nz/