[mythtvnz] Horizontal polarity?

Steven Ellis mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Fri, 24 Nov 2006 13:17:35 +1300 (NZDT)

AlanP wrote:
> I heard from a friend that TVNZ is changing to horizontal polarity at the
> end of the month, and SkyTV is changing as well.
>
> Has anyone heard anything about this? I can't really run *both* horizontal
> and vertical, as I've got three devices running from a splitter.

There are some detail at http://www.apsattv.com/.

Look like before the end of the month for the switch over so that TVNZ
will move over to D1. Sky has already been running some tests.

------
 From Sky Tech

TECHNICAL BULLETIN By Dean Silk

Nov 2006

Applies to: All installations

Overview:

Due to Sky's upcoming move to D1's Horizontal transponders, some
testing on the H pole is required ahead of time.

For technical reasons we will be using the same frequency that is
currently being used by most if not all installers for dish alignment.

Because of this 'frequency sharing' on both V and H poles, you can
no longer use this transponder for cross pole alignment.

As of 22 November, an alternative transponder must be used for
cross pole alignment.

The suggested frequency is 12,734 (T8-U) which equates to an L band
frequency of 1434 MHz for single LNB's and 1984 MHz for dual LNB's.

Note, this may change if and when another carrier is introduced on the H
pole

Additional:

Due to this being the first time that we have had to deal with
signals on both polarities, there is the likelihood that if an installation
has a poorly polarized LNB, there may be interference to the existing
streams on

Transponder 5 vertical (streams 3 and 4).This may be in the form of
pixelation or simply a degradation in BER.

If there are trouble calls pertaining to problems on any channel on
either of these streams, you should double check the polarization
alignment.

For all new installations, particular care MUST be taken when
performing the
cross pole alignment, by using the normal 'nulling for minimum' on
the opposite pole.

If not, there is a good chance that a revisit will be required to
correct the problem.

Cross pole alignment is now more critical than ever!

Dean Silk
DVB Support Engineer
Sky Network Television
---