[mythtvnz] Controlling a sky box without a serial port

Howard mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Thu, 23 Mar 2006 17:27:00 +1200

on 23/03/2006 4:19 p.m. Steve Hodge wrote:
> On 3/23/06, Steven Ellis <mail_lists@stevencherie.net> wrote:
>> Need to setup a USB or other solution that can control a sky or cable
>> box without building a serial based dongle as the HW has no serial
>> ports. Any tips?
>
> Get a USB to serial dongle? Not sure if that would actually work,
> mind. How about a PCI serial card - those still exist, right?
>
> Steve

I probably have a serial card somewhere you can have if there is a PCI
slot spare... or ISA...

I assume you can do I/R control through a parallel port too if there is one.

cheers
Howard