[mythtvnz] MythTV installation advice wanted

Criggie mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Sun, 18 Jun 2006 16:10:54 +1200 (NZST)

Jamie Dobbs wrote:
> AthlonXP 2000
> 384Meg RAM
> 30Gig HDD (will add more later)

Definitely need more - lots more.  30 Gb would be good for the root
partition and mysql database.  Get one/some big slowish cheapish drives
for data storage...  I use three 40 Gb WD purely cos I had them spare.

> The card I currently have is the saa7134 based Pinnacle PCTV Stereo.
>
> Given the range of distro's available I'd welcome some thoughts on a
> Linux distro to put on this machine. I have Fedora Core 4 around here
> somewhere as well as Gentoo, but am also willing to give others a try.

First start would be to pop in a knoppmyth CD and see where that gets you.

> I would welcome thoughts and experiences, esp. with regard to the
> Phillips based card as I have never been able to get it to work in Linux
> before.

They're fine cards - the saa7134 module is in the linux kernel and is
nicely stable.  However it has no mpeg compressor, so your CPU will be
doing a lot more work.

If you want to buy a new/second tuner card you cannot go past a PVR-150MCE
card.  They're well under $150, and have hardware mpeg2 compression.

--
Criggie

http://criggie.dyndns.org/
http://www.avonside.school.nz/