[mythtvnz] RE: FTA digital next year

Nick Rout mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Fri, 16 Jun 2006 12:17:34 +1200

On Fri, 16 Jun 2006 12:03:25 +1200
Steve Hodge wrote:

> On 6/15/06, Nick & Ann Read <nick.read@engineer.com> wrote:
> > The BCL announcement seems to imply that satellite will only get a subset of
> > the channels available via DTT?
>
> Don't forget that BCL are in the terrestrial television broadcast
> market and not the satellite TV market - of course they are going to
> play down the satellite side of the announcement.
>
> All of the other news stories and press releases seem to say that
> satellite delivery will be first with DTT to follow. The purchased
> transponder on Optus D1 allows 18 channels with TVNZ and CanWest
> having purchased 6 each. I seriously doubt that DTT will have anything
> that isn't also on the satellite until that space runs out.
>
> Steve

Is Optus D1 the same satllite that Sky are switching to?

There was some comment from Sky this morning on National Radio about use
of their dishes with Freeview. At the important point someone made a
whole lot of noise and I missed exactly what he was saying. Something
along the lines of interference between co-existing freeview and sky
boxes blah blah. Very cagey he was!

My perspective is that a satellite is the only way I can get TV. Thats
why I have Sky digital. I can see a Tui Ad:

"When Freeview starts, Sky will make available cheap Sports only
subscriptions so that people can get most of their TV from Freeview plus
Sky Sport for a small amount more."

Yeah Right!

--
Nick Rout <nick@rout.co.nz>