[mythtvnz] TV Output - 720x576

Duncan Kennington mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Wed, 07 Jun 2006 13:17:24 +1200 (NZST)

Quoting Andrew Bruce <abruce@hope-st.ath.cx>:

> Does anyone have a fully working modeline or similar way of getting an
> NVidia card (using the NVidia driver) to properly display onto the TV?
>
> For some reason, everything points to the fact that it is running in
> 720x756 resolution (both via the X log's and x11vnc session info), but
> on the TV the edges of the output are still quite cut off.

What you descibe sounds like an overscan problem.  If you are using a CRT TV,
this will be what is happening.

Overscan explained:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overscan#Overscan_in_Television and
http://scanline.ca/overscan/

With the NVidia driver, you should get a progam called nvidia-settings which
will allow you to play with overscan on the fly.  I recommend doing this on the
blank X grid desktop until you have JUST got all the image edges against the
screen edges.  Don't leave areas blank - I promise you they will annoy you
later!  You might have to edit your xorg.conf or XF86Config-4 to put a
TVOverscan setting in as an alternative.  There is heaps on Google about this.

Once this is done, start Myth and go into the Appearance (and/or TV Playback
Settings?) to adjust the GUI size and/or the overscan percentages to bring the
picture back within the visible portion of the screen.  It's a bit of tweaking,
and on a slow front end, a bit of a wait for it to rescale all the theme images,
but once done, you shouldn't need to fiddle again.

Duncan