[mythtvnz] Re: Shuttle PN31 keymap with mythtv

Sam Hadley-Jones mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Tue, 18 Jul 2006 23:46:39 +1200

Hi Toby,

I'm using one of these remotes however, I regret the purchase. I
should've spent the extra $10 on an MCE remote. Since I already had a
serial LIRC receiver in my case from a previous remote and was annoyed
at the way the keyboard was remapped, I reverted to the LIRC way and
made the shuttle receiver redundant.

Through LIRC the repeat rate is quite high. This is handy for zipping
through a song list in MythMusic but can result in double key presses if
you're not used to it. It's also annoying not having a DVD-like
'diamond' for navigation. For up/down I use PG+/- and left/right I use
L/R - this is very unnatural.

At first I tried mapping the centre mouse pad thingy (big round disc)
but discovered that it comprised of like 32 different points (instead
of the anticipated up/down/left/right) which makes it really hard to
map. That mouse pad, through the shuttle receiver, is supposed to be
detected as a usb mouse and work like magic under WINDOWS. It seems the
the manufacturer didn't stick to the standard. I tried patching kernel
HID stuff but to no avail.

So, Toby, if you're not happy with the current setup, you could either
build an LIRC receiver for like $10 in parts or buy and MCE remote. :)

If you do decide to set aside the time to map the mouse pad, I'd be
interested in the result. Also, if you want a copy of my lircd.conf,
you're welcome.

Regards,

Sam.