[mythtvnz] Ratios, Was Building a new box using an ASUS A8N-VM CSM board

Steve Hodge mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Sat, 21 Jan 2006 00:23:22 +1300

On 1/20/06, criggie@criggie.dyndns.org <criggie@criggie.dyndns.org> wrote:
> Steve said
> > I've got one too, had no problems getting it working. I've also got a
> > tuner-less video capture card for Sky and with my current capture
> > settings (576x576 mpeg4 + mp3)
>
> This one has been bugging me for weeks.  Why do many of the mythtv howtos
> (and the default) use a 1:1 ratio of 480x480?

IIRC, in my case one of my cards won't seem to do 640x576. 576x576 is
the highest resolution my cards both seem capable of. But as others
have mentioned broadcast horizontal resolution isn't even that high.
So if you capture at say 720x576 you are simply doing some scaling in
the capture device.

> Surely a 4:3 ratio like 640x480 or 320x240 would be best?

You don't want to sacrifice vertical resolution just to maintain a
"correct" aspect ratio - you're far better off doing 320x576 than
320x240.

Steve