[mythtvnz] Help spending my brothers $5K on MythTV

Steven Ellis mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Sat, 25 Feb 2006 12:38:33 +1300

David Zanetti wrote:

>On Thu, 2006-02-23 at 17:37 +1300, Steven Ellis wrote:
>

>>Steve Hodge wrote:
>>

>>>Anyone know how the TVNZ DVB-T stream compares to TVNZ DVB-S stream?
>>>Is it the exact same stream?
>>>

>>Ask on nz.tech on usenet for more details. Hope it isn't as they need to
>>fix up the rate limiting. Watched the grammys off DVB-T and the rate
>>limiting when the strobe lights were flashing was dreadful. They appear
>>to cap it quite early and not allow any peaks in the bit rate.
>>

>I've heard different things about where it's being encoded vs the DVB-S
>stream. There's no reason I know of for the MPEG-2 stage to be any
>different to DVB-S, but they _are_ being uplinked from different places
>(Avalon for DVB-S, and obviously Auckland for the DVB-T in Akl).
>
>I haven't noticed any DVB-S problems, inspecting a stream that should be
>expected to have high bitrates (eg, sport like F1) it peaked at upwards
>of 7, and didn't exhibit much macroblocking I could see. I didn't watch
>the grammys, so I can't compare it.

Haven't seen the stream get above 6Mbit on DVB-T

>For some reason, however, I get a decent amount of tearing on TVNZ WIDE,
>but I assume that's testing problems. Or problems in my PVR somewhere :)
>
>You can assume they'll be testing DVB-T for at least 9-12 months before
>any specific committment to the platform.

It has been in testing for over 6 months already. Did anyone else see
the article on the from of todays Herald about Digital TV. Shame is they
should be up and running in months, and not some point next year.

Steve