[mythtvnz] Help spending my brothers $5K on MythTV

Steve Hodge mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Fri, 24 Feb 2006 09:56:18 +1300

On 2/24/06, Gary Te Young <gary@athomedownunder.com> wrote:
> If you are spending 5K on a MythTV system, you deserve a quality system.
> Recording TV using software encoding runs the risk of a sub standard
> picture.

The impression I had was 5K for MythTV system, TV and surround sound
system. If that includes an LCD or plasma TV there isn't going to be
much left for MythTV.

> After using a couple of PVR-250s I couldn't go back to software
> encoding, they don't skip a beat.

Did you notice any visible quality difference between the PVR-250s and
the dumb capture cards? I mean in terms of picture quality rather than
dropped frames.

Steve