[mythtvnz] Help spending my brothers $5K on MythTV

Steve Hodge mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Thu, 23 Feb 2006 15:07:27 +1300

On 2/23/06, Simon Green <swgreen@gmail.com> wrote:
> From what I was told by Sky[1] earlier this year, only MySky boxes
> will handle 5.1 sound. The other decoders don't have the outputs for
> it. It seems like Sky won't be providing non MySky decoders if you 5.1
> sound. HDTV is still years away for them too. Pity. Foxtel in Aussie
> offer both 5.1 and HDTV on standard decoders.
>
> Really object paying $500 for surround sound (and don't intent to!)

Right, but they're not broadcasting in 5.1 so the 5.1 capability of
MySky is currently completely useless. They're saying they'll start
broadcasting 5.1 on selected channels (presumably just the movie
channels) once Optus D1 is up.

Steve