[mythtvnz] Help spending my brothers $5K on MythTV

David Zanetti mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Thu, 23 Feb 2006 14:09:18 +1300

--=-oFfjFC/xu2xcfitkg6EP

On Wed, 2006-02-22 at 15:16 -0800, paul arthur wrote:

> c) EPG via dialup=20

Others have said it before, I'll say it as well.. DVB-S for EPG is good.
And you get FTA TVNZ stuff.

> 2) Purchase new=20
> 	- PVR150=20

IMO, go with the PVR150 or even the PVR500, if you're pulling from
analog (which includes Sky) sources.

> 	- IR Keyboard + dongle to get past LIRC hassles (or at least defer them)

I ended up picking a USB HID IR remote, and remapping the buttons to my
universal. It works real well, and avoids all the lirc madness.

> 	- Digital Sound Card  - advice please

The cheap DSE ones with spdif out work fine for MP3->PCM and AC3
passthru with my Yamaha reciever.=20

> 	- TV-Out : DVI + - advice please Nvidia 5200 ?

Given the plasma/flat panel/HDTV talk, see if you can get one with DVI
(and actually treats it as normal video, not PC input) or HDMI and grab
an DVI->HDMI cable. Note: I have never personally done this, but I
believe it works.

> Have heard Sky will be going to HDTV this year - what do we need to times=
hift it?

I've not heard any confirmation of HDTV from Sky this year. In either
case, you can be assured they will NOT allow anything other than maybe
low-res analog, it'll be HDCP/HDMI and nasty to get out. There are (in
the US) bits of HD kit with firewire out, but I just can't see Sky being
that .. useful :)

--=20
David Zanetti <david.zanetti@catalyst.net.nz>
Team Leader, Systems Administration