[mythtvnz] Help spending my brothers $5K on MythTV

Duncan Kennington mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Thu, 23 Feb 2006 13:29:46 +1300 (NZDT)

> > > 2) Purchase new
> > > - PVR150
> >
> > If you're only recording from Sky Digital you don't need the tuner so
> > why not get a dumb video capture card instead of a PVR150 (e.g.
> > http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/en/product/XH6594)?
> > Certainly 1GHz Athlon should have no problem recording and playing
> > back at the same time.
>
> I don't fully concur. The hardware conversion to mpeg2 would be a
> definite advantage on that system IMHO.

I agree.  These are now very easy to get going under Linux - something you are
not always guaranteed which using a generic framegrabber.

Another reason is that a 150 will deal with the audio capture for you also -
this avoids a loop cable on the back of the PC and potentially the many and
varied volume and driver issues which again are tied to your choice of sound card.

Duncan