[mythtvnz] Help spending my brothers $5K on MythTV

paul arthur mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Wed, 22 Feb 2006 15:16:10 -0800 (PST)

Im about to start building a MythTV system for my brother - some help with the planning please

budget - $5000 including screen/reciever/speakers excluding PC (have 1 already)

Its intended use

a) Drive's new plasma/lcd DVI+HDTV bigwidescreen
b) Good audio via alsa/digital to new receiever - recommendations
c) EPG via dialup
d) no FTA TV due to bad reception (bad phone lines too.)
e) contolling SKY Digital receiver via IRBlaster or similar
f) Mp3 music
g) Divx playing
h) JPG photoalbum
i) Quiet - Reliable - appliance level availability/simplicity
j) Supportable - dont want to go too far to the bleeding edge...

looks like being a 1 box solution for now - ie frontend+backend in same box

1) using existing Compaq AMD Athlon 1GHZ processor - 384MB memory - 250G disk
2) Purchase new
	- PVR150
	- Learning Remote (MSMediaCentre remote?)
	- IR Keyboard + dongle to get past LIRC hassles (or at least defer them)
	- Digital Sound Card  - advice please
	- TV-Out : DVI + - advice please Nvidia 5200 ?
	- 5.1 Reciever
	- HDTV? Big Wide Flat Screen

3) Knoppmyth with MythTV v0.19 version when released (ETA?) or Gentoo/Ubantu ??

Have heard Sky will be going to HDTV this year - what do we need to timeshift it?

Thoughts please - i'll be procuring the HW in the next few weeks...

Paul Arthur and Cathy Windsor
New Zealand