[mythtvnz] Mythfrontends using CF

Toby Mills mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Tue, 14 Feb 2006 15:00:40 +1300

Cool, sounds like a cheaper way of doing it.
Is it a pain when you want to change something?
I tend to tweak a fair bit and I wouldn't want to go through the hassle
of dumping a new image everytime I changed something on a frontend.

Cheers
Toby

-----Original Message-----
From: mythtvnz-admin@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
[mailto:mythtvnz-admin@lists.linuxnut.co.nz] On Behalf Of Robin Gilks
Sent: Tuesday, February 14, 2006 2:53 PM
To: mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Subject: Re: [mythtvnz] Mythfrontends using CF

> Sam Banks wrote:
>
>> I tried that but the CF card didn't last long so I am back on IDE
>> till I find a cost effective solution
>>
> Is a net boot off your backend an option?
> I'd be interested in in a HOWTO for booting myth using this method.

I've been doing a diskless network boot from my Epia SP13000 combined
front/backend right from when I first built it. Didn't even think of
doing it any other way as I've got bags of diskspace on the nfs server
machine.

Just had to use network aware grub bootloader and keep an image of the
media box on the big server (built using Gentoo in a chroot
environment). Of course this all assumes that your BIOS can do a network
boot...

--
Robin Gilks