[mythtvnz] Mythfrontends using CF

Andrew Ruthven mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Tue, 14 Feb 2006 14:37:47 +1300

Hi Toby,

On Tue, 2006-02-14 at 14:05 +1300, Toby Mills wrote:
> I'm using 2Gb CF cards with IDE converters in my frontends, I'd be
> interested to know if anyone else is doing something like this in order
> to achieve silence.

I considered doing this, but decided to go with a diskless frontend.  It
network boots off my server (the server also acts as my MythTV backend)
use PXE boot.

It works quite nicely, except that the Via EPIA motherboard doesn't
always see the network (known problem discussed in the Via Arena
forums).  Turning the Via off at the wall and back on tends to fix it.

My Via is in an old 19" wide CD player case that I've ... converted.
There is a 120mm fan in it directly above the CPU, but I'm currently
running the fan at full speed.  Which is rather noisy.  I need to make
some more air vents to improve the air flow and hopefully be able to
turn the fan down without the system overheating.

Cheers!

--
At home: andrew@etc.gen.nz       |  This space intentionally