[mythtvnz] TelstraClear Digital TV

Duncan Kennington mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Sun, 05 Feb 2006 20:10:28 +1300

Well got TelstaClear's digital TV service yesterday (an upgrade from the
original Motorola decoder).

Like many have said on geekzone, I am horrendously disappointed that they
have positioned this product at large-screen, quality-conscious consumers
and provided only a composite output.  I would have at LEAST expected
S-Video, if not component.  However, it is still a dramatically better
picture (ending the argument with the missus that it was not, in fact, the
Media PC's fault that the picture wasn't as good as off the aerial).

Interestingly, they provide a cable modem (additional to any you might
already have) whose sole purpose is to pull guide data (yes, I will at some
point see about pilfering it).  A mighty pain to have a cable modem shoved
in behind the VCR (yes, I still have one).

The decoder is a DVB based ADB 3000C.  It seems from looking at the
manufacturers website that these can be spec'd with S-Video quite cheaply
(making TCL even cheaper).

At any rate, if anyone else is upgrading or has upgraded, I have generated
an LIRC remote config for the decoder so an IR-Blaster can change channels
on it.

Regards
Duncan