[mythtvnz] Extracting EPG from sky

Nick Rout mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Fri, 03 Feb 2006 16:57:06 +1300

Good expanation of DVB for the uninitiated, thanks David.

Back to EPG alternatives, there is a good screenscraper (ie it downloads web pages and analyses the content into xmltv data) at reven.co.nz.

It is designed for windows, but is written in .NET and runs under linux
with mono. I know it does because I had it working for a while. However
the data throughput is high (a lot of web pages to download) and it also
uses an inordinate amount of memory when running on my mythtv box. I
suspect that it opens all it's current data in RAM and then parses and
sorts it. Whatever the reason, it takes ages and sometimes doesn't
complete. I must try it again, it is often updated. I was being greedy
in requesting 14 days of data at a atime, the author recommends 5. It is
closed source, but the guy is friendly - friendly enough to tweak it to
make it run in mono when a couple of people asked. Unusually for a
(primarily) windows program it runs on the command line.

It also has a handy web based command line builder - choose your
channels, number of days and preferred sources on a web page and it
produces a command line to copy and paste into your terminal or conf
file.

--
Nick Rout <nick@rout.co.nz>