[mythtvnz] Extracting EPG from sky

Wade Maxfield mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Fri, 3 Feb 2006 11:11:16 +1300

>>I don't think Sky will be giving this away for any affordable price.
>>Use the existing internet sources is my advice.
>
>Okay, how about going back to my first suggestion and buying a cheap
>DVB-S card coupled with a PVR150.  The DVB card can then extract FTA
>channels as well as EPG data, while a PVR150 can pick up the sky
>channels (via composite and an IR blaster).  A budget DVB-S card is
>$160 or less, a PVR150 is $150, while a PVR500 is $270, so you're
>barely paying more.  Any chance of sky choosing to encrypt the FTA
>channels or their EPG data?
>
>PS: Something that might amuse people here, after a lot of
>comparisons I finally decided which remote I thought would be best
>for controlling my mythtv box.  It has "Microsoft" written in large
>letters on it...  Next think y'know, I'll be installing MCE2k5!
>
>Corrin

Well having a self sufficient EPG source is the main reason I got my
Technisat card.   As far as Sky encrypting the EPG, I guess that's a
possibility, but it wouldn't be the easiest thing to implement,
considering the size of the installed user base of old decoders.  It
may be something they could do with a firmware update but still a
little bit of a mission.  But even if they do encrypt it, it should
be possible to decrypt it (in theory) since the data is small enough
and doesn't have to be done in real time, unlike having to decrypt a
sky digital video stream.

  - Wade