[mythtvnz] Philips 42PF9966 42" Plasma with HDMI input

Simon Third mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Sun, 3 Dec 2006 21:10:36 +1300

>Simon Third wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I've been trying to get my KnoppMyth box displaying on my Philips
>> 42PF9966 42" Plasma using the DVI to HDMI cable that came with the
TV.
>> I can get 1280x720p@60Hz working, but would like to use all 1366x768
>> pixels.
>>
>> When I've tried 1280x768 and 1368x768 the TV thinks its 1080i.  The
>> spec sheet for the TV says it supports 1280x768@60Hz (WXGA) so I
>> should be able to get this to work? Any idea's welcome, as I've tried

>> all the ModeLines from both Wiki's and some from "The XFree86
Modeline
>> Generator" without any luck.
>>
>Have you got the output from
>
>"startx -- -logverbose 6"
>
>There is a good chance that the set doesn't have a 1368 native
modeline. Some sets will only allow a native >nnection over VGA.

>Also check if you can run a 50Hz 720p connection as you don't really
want to play PAL material at 50Hz.

>Steve

Thanks for the help Steve,

I made good use of the log file to see what was going on.
It turns out that the TV will only accept XGA (1024x768), 720p, and
1080i, 50 or 60Hz all round.
Best results are to use a XGA ModeLine.  The TV then has a "Display
16:9" setting in the menu.
A "DisplaySize 361 203" in the Monitor Section and simular 16:9 setting
in Myth settings scale things correctly.

One thing that took me a while to find, was how to centre the picture on
the screen.  Adjusting ModeLine values has no effect.  Turns out you
just use the remote arrow keys on a live picture!

S3