[mythtvnz] MythTV + MPlayer + Xine + Remote - A Solution

Nick Rout mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Tue, 15 Aug 2006 13:30:31 +1200

On Mon, 14 Aug 2006 18:34:34 +1200 (NZST)
Open Media Support wrote:

> Ok i'm starting this thread to kick things off, and then i'll try and post
> or provide links to the various files/scripts required to set this up if
> people are interested.

People are very interested. Links  to the files/scripts would be
fantastic.

> A common complaint is how to use lirc with MythTV such that MPlayer and
> Xine work correctly with the remote. Now for myPVR I've invested quite a
> lot of time to get all of these working so that customers get the
> behaviour that they would expect from an "appliance".
>
> First a quick warning. This is designed for MCE2 USB remotes, like the
> newer Hauppauge remotes. It provides support for the extra hotkeys etc.

Interestingly I have a mce2 usb remote - an OEM microsoft one. It is
this one.

http://www.golfchoice.co.uk/ebay/remotecontrol3.jpg

It differs from the one shown on

http://openmedia.co.nz/openmedia/content/view/27/59/

The one that (Robert &) I have has the four coloured buttons on the
bottom (like on a sky remote). It doesn't have MyMusic, MyPictures,
MyVideo etc.. The buttons detailed on the microsoft remote are covered
in the manual here:

http://www.2partsfusion.com/manuals/MCE_Remote_Manual.pdf

(interestingly this manual has a reference to New Zealand in it!)

However I think these two remotes are pretty much interchangeable, ie
the play button on your remote sends the same code as on my remote. I
say that because my knoppmyth supplied lircd.conf is clearly not exactly
right for my remote, but looks perfect for yours. The lircd.conf on my
machine has entries for all the buttons on your remote, but misses out
the buttons for red, yellow, green & blue. However for all the buttons
that I actually use it works fine.

(Sorry I know all those links were posted last night, but its good to
have them all in one place.)

Anyway it should be easy to get what you have there working well with my
remote, and I am more than willing to help :-)

[snip]