[mythtvnz] Re: DVB issues

Nick Rout mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Thu, 10 Aug 2006 11:50:37 +1200

On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 11:05:25 +1200
AlanP wrote:

> At 10:57 a.m. 10/08/2006, you wrote:
> >the lack of ongoing development of tv_grab_dvb or an equivalent in the
> >linux world is a real surprise to me.
>
> What surprises me is how attached Americans are to the idea of downloading
> their listings, when more than half of them are using DVB-T cards or
> similar. It uses up their data cap if they're on broadband, and it ties up
> the phone line if they're on dialup.

there is a really good service provided free in the US that ties in well
with mythtv - although there are some license issues if eg selling a
myth box commercially. You need an acount and a password, but they are
free. Called datadirect and/or zap2it.

> >I suppose mythtv does itself have EIT functionality, and VDR presumably
> >does too.
>
> What is VDR?

European (German) developed DVB based system with similar functionality
to mythtv. DVB is very big in Europe.

http://www.cadsoft.de/vdr/

A gentoo sub project recently started to get VDR going well in gentoo.
Also I am told that there are plugins to use non DVB cards, eg
PVR-150/250/350/500

I'd like to give it a spin sometime, more out of interest than anything.

--
Nick Rout <nick@rout.co.nz>