[mythtvnz] DVB issues

toby mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Wed, 9 Aug 2006 14:56:39 +1200

> > Does Knoppmyth support DVB-S and EIT EPG things? I don't want to
download
> > 700MB and find out that that was a waste of time...

I put my new skystar 2 card in last week, running the latest version of
knoppmyth.

dropped the card in, ran up the dvb utilities to check the signal strength
etc and went straight into mythtv-setup and scanned for new channels using
the instructions on pvr.geek.nz.

worked a charm and hasn't skipped a beat since.
it even picked up the guide data automatically for the dvb channels although
i overode this and went back to an internet download so i get all the
categories coming through nicely and they are the same as my sky channels.
it took longer to setup all the channels than it did to get the card
working.

I stopped rolling my own mythtv last year at knoppmyth r16 as its just
gotten so good now. My partner fragged a hard disk on a frontend with an ill
timed power cycle last week and I had the whole frontend going again in 20
minutes. she went off and talked to someone on the phone and by the time she
got back coronation street was ready to roll as the backend had still been
recording it while i rebuilt the frontend. Knoppmyth has saved my arse on a
number of occasions now and I couldn't help but have a sigh of relief when
she came back and said "I thought you said I broke it".

Cheers
Toby
www.np.co.nz