[mythtvnz] Ubuntu Dapper ivtv, X server crashing

Graeme Woollett mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Fri, 04 Aug 2006 17:21:16 +1200

OpenMedia Support wrote:
> Graeme Woollett wrote:
>
>> I'm running dapper 2.6.15-26 with nvidia driver version 8762 ivtv
>> 0.44, and _any_ version of mythtv!   Since updating my machine
>> recently (and the kernel, recompiling ivtv drivers) whenever I try to
>> watch something on the backend machine the screen goes black, no sound
>> and X no longer responds to the keyboard.  A reboot is the _only_ way
>> to get it back.  I have observed this problem on an Athlon & a Celeron
>> system.  Both need a reboot.
>> Everything worked fine until I did an update.  I have also tried
>> ivtv-0.46 but get the same results.  Mplayer nicely shows the output
>> from /dev/video0, when played back through myth everything turns to
>> custard in full screen or windowed mode.  I have looked through the
>> postings at ubuntu forums, some other people are having the same
>> problem, but answers are not forthcoming...
>>
> 1. What are you using for video output - libmpeg2/standard/XvMC?

in mythtv? how do I tell?
> 2. Have you tried a slightly earlier NVidia driver release. Heard some
> odd problems with 8762

good point, it may have been 7174 that I had previously been using...
> 3. Can you ssh onto the machine when the display goes?
>
> Steve

Yes I can, xrg is using 100% CPU, but killing xorg doesn't bring the
system back.

Thanks, I'll investigate tonight