[mythtvnz] Cabling my house

Andrew Ruthven mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Wed, 02 Aug 2006 18:33:25 +1200

On Wed, 2006-08-02 at 13:40 +1200, David Zanetti wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-08-01 at 15:05 +1200, Andrew Ruthven wrote:
> > I just want to try and guages peoples opinions here.  I'm going to cable
> > up my house soon (both network and RG6 for video), and with the
> > impending arrival of digital TV, should I run additional RG6 cable?
> >
> > Normally I would have run one RG6 cable to each faceplate for an antenna
> > feed.  However, if digital TV comes along and we still have analog TV, I
> > might be better to have two RG6 cables at each faceplate.  Otherwise
> > I'll need a splitter where ever I want to have both.  (Which should be
> > nowhere, since we mostly use MythTV.)
>
> A multiswitch will give you combined UHF+Sat coverage in a single
> outlet, but multiswitches are not that cheap.

True.  In my previous place I used a combiner to stick the bunny airs
+Sat down one cable, then a splitter at the other end to get it out.
The splitter had power pass through for one connector.

But I'd rather not do that (more connections = more signal loss)...

> I ran multiple RG6 outlets for the lounge, to both cover possible
> quick-hack UHF support, and for multiple devices. But everywhere else
> got a single run.
>
> If it really matters, I'll get a multiswitch. :)

Heh, yup.  :)

--
Andrew Ruthven
Wellington, New Zealand