[mythtvnz] Cabling my house

Mike Dilger mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Tue, 01 Aug 2006 21:02:03 +1200

Andrew Ruthven wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> I just want to try and guages peoples opinions here.  I'm going to cable
> up my house soon (both network and RG6 for video), and with the
> impending arrival of digital TV, should I run additional RG6 cable?
>
> Normally I would have run one RG6 cable to each faceplate for an antenna
> feed.  However, if digital TV comes along and we still have analog TV, I
> might be better to have two RG6 cables at each faceplate.  Otherwise
> I'll need a splitter where ever I want to have both.  (Which should be
> nowhere, since we mostly use MythTV.)
>
> What do you guys think?
>
> Cheers!

I tend to camp with the purists.  One fast digital multi-use cable
should handle all your data needs, and other cables can handle power.
CAT-5e, CAT-6, or fibre, would do well.    The practical side of me
insists on a CATV RG6 Coaxial too, for un-tuned analog.  I wonder about
HDMi which has no fixed cable length specification and seems to handle
up to 15 meters in practice with copper wire.