[mythtvnz] Planning for upgrade to video

Toby Mills mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Wed, 12 Apr 2006 15:16:26 +1200

Afternoon,

I'm wondering if someone can help me on the video front.
At the moment I'm running a split frontend / backend solution with my
frontend running SVIDEO out of an Nvidia card into a Sony 32" crt.

I'm looking at replacing the CRT with either a 42" plasma or lcd and
want the best picture possible.
At the moment I'm getting tiny wavy lines on the SVIDEO due to
interference from the PC so ideally want to get away from analog
signals.
I'm a bit lost on the whole resolution front and also standards (hey I'm
only an audio engineer).

So then here are my questions,

If I buy a video card with DVI output on it, will this be compatible
with any inputs on any of todays TV's and if not, what sort of video
card do I need that will run well under myth. From what I can gather,
most modern TV's have a HDMI input and from what I understand this is
practically the same as DVI but without audio and all you need is a
converter cable. Correct?

Is there such a thing as a video card with a native HDMI output on it
that also supports audio and will run under myth?

And lastly, the whole resolution thing, lcd and plasma's seem to go up
to at least 1080i, is there any point in looking for something higher
than this as an insurance against future HD stuff. From what I can
gather some countries have gone with 720p for HDTV broadcasts and that
1080p is also looming, any indications of what will be needed here in NZ
and does anyone know what formats the broadcasters will run at.

Cheers
Toby Mills