[mythtvnz] Nvidia drivers warning (Gentoo)

Steve Hodge mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Tue, 11 Apr 2006 10:48:08 +1200

On 4/11/06, Robert Fisher <robert@fisher.net.nz> wrote:
> On Monday 10 April 2006 10:02 pm, Steve Hodge wrote:
>
> > If you've set up your system to use "unstable" packages you've got to
> > be ready for this sort of thing, unfortunately. It's why I don't do
> > "emerge -u world".
>
> I use emerge -uDpv world

Right, which means any packages you've got set to allow "unstable" are
going to be upgraded to new unstable versions. You might be better off
actually specifying the version that works so that it doesn't get
upgraded.

Personally in a production environment (which is essentially what my
myth box is) I think emerge -u world is risky even without "unstable"
packages. If the system works why blindly upgrade everything? To me
that's just asking for breakage. So I only manually upgrade the stuff
I feel will be beneficial. Of course, to each his own...

> Unfortunately the "stable" nvidia drivers do not seem to work for me eith=
er.

I'm running 6629 with my FX5200. What sort of card are you using?

Steve