[mythtvnz] Tuner Cards

Steve Hodge mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Wed, 21 Dec 2005 18:50:56 +1300

On 12/21/05, Jamie Dobbs <jamie.dobbs@orcon.net.nz> wrote:
> It's a Pinnacle PCTV Stereo which is based on the Philips saa7134 chip
> (from memory, it's not handy at the moment)

Those Pinnacle cards have several designs selling as the same model.
Some of them have bt878 chips, some have saa7134. They've also changed
the tuner unit. Compare:
http://www.dolda2000.com/~fredrik/lf/tv-kort-2.jpg (old style tuner
unit with the chunky metal shield) and
http://www.dolda2000.com/~fredrik/lf/tv-kort.jpg
I suspect that new tuner unit is a "silicon" tuner. So far there are
no linux drivers for silicon tuners as no-one has released specs. I
almost got caught out with a DSE TV tuner card (this one:
http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/en/product/XH6861) with a
SAA7134 that has a silicon tuner. In my case I returned the card to
DSE because the box claimed it was Linux compatible when it wasn't.

Steve