[mythtvnz] EPG problems

Gary Te Young mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Mon, 19 Dec 2005 19:51:17 +1300

>Is this really going to provide any real protection though, from a
>legal point of view? I mean assuming disk->webserver->net is illegal
>(note: I don't know), is tvcard->webserver->net likely to be legal?
>I'd guess not. In fact I'd guess that using and republishing Sky's EPG
>data this way is likely to be a far clearer breach of copyright than
>manually generating the listings or even using a screen scraper.

I don't know, this is why I am asking these questions.  Maybe the =
webserver
interface has still the same issues but I'm just trying to think outside =
of
the square for a reliable source for those who can't screen scrape
themselves.  If you can provide an interface to the end user to where =
they
are able to manipulate your card as if it were their local card, then =
are
you responsible for their actions?  If you are not responsible for their
actions and how they are using your hardware, then wouldn't this get =
around
the C&D notice?

>No, anyone allowing downloads of the data is getting a C&D.
Thanks for filling in the bleeding obvious.

> I doubt TVNZ or anyone else will draw a distinction between a server
serving
>data from a file vs a server serving data directly for an alternative
>hardware device like a DVB-S card. I can't see any legal difference
>(IANAL though).
There is a difference in the example I gave above, I just don't know if =
is a
big enough one.  Doesn't hurt to throw around an idea to see if you can =
get
around the problem.

>It's the republishing that is supposedly illegal, AFAIK, not the
>storing of the data.
Yes, this is why icetv are around (www.icetv.com.au), they read the =
guide
and give their own pr=E9cis.  Actually, I wonder if you could parse the =
guide
to replace enough words and phrases enough to get around the C&D too?

Regards,
Gary Te Young
=20
@Home Downunder Ltd