[mythtvnz] DVB-S

Steve Hodge mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Fri, 2 Dec 2005 19:06:00 +1300

On 12/2/05, criggie@criggie.dyndns.org <criggie@criggie.dyndns.org> wrote:
> So how does one get epg data through a dvb card?  Is it
> better/worse/different to the online epg guides?

Better than any I've seen bar hairy.geek.nz's which is just a dump of
the DVB-S EPG feed.

Basically the DVB standard contains specifications for sending EPG
data. This is how the Sky Digital boxes get their data. With a DVB-S
card you can tune to the same frequencies and grab the feed. So the
quality is exactly the same (in terms of data) as Sky Digital has.

TVNZ's feed only has EPG data for TV1 and 2, they're not sending data
for NASA TV or their widescreen channel.

Steve