[mythtvnz] OK - here we go!

Nick Rout mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Fri, 02 Dec 2005 09:18:47 +1300

On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 08:15:23 +1300
Robert Fisher wrote:

> On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 8:04 am, Wade Maxfield wrote:
> > >Is Hauppauge PVR-250 / PVR-350 the way to go? My usual supplier only seems
> > > to show 150's on their website.
> >
> > I personally think the 350 is overkill (experience talking) as I
> > ended up not using the video out on my one. Although the remote it
> > comes with was relatively easy to get going.
> >
> > How do you plan on connecting to the Plasma?
>
> At the moment we use the S-Video output from the graphics card.
>
> I should rephrase my question.
>
> My local supplier is DragonPC. When I searched their site for Haupage I got
> the following....
> http://dragonpc.co.nz/search.aspx?kw=hauppauge&search.x=39&search.y=7&search=search
>
> They all sat "wintv". Are they suitable?

Not all of them no. Avoid the USB one. The others should be  fine.
(except that hauppauge, along with other manufacturers, are apt to
change the chipsets but still call the card by the same name. YMMV - but
if you use the latest drivers they should all work.)

> Can someone recommend a local supplier (Christchurch) for a suitable card?

You found one by the look of it. So the hauppauge will dope with getting video into your computer, in mpeg2 format too. The rest of the answer
you quoted above, ie

> > I personally think the 350 is overkill (experience talking) as I
> > ended up not using the video out on my one

related to getting video out and onto the tv. the 350 has a mpeg2
DEcoder, saving your cpu from decoding the mpeg2 stream. Also most of
the later nVidia cards have mpeg2 decoding built in, so that can be used to lower cpu usage.

Also relevant: what inputs does your TV have?